Yesterday, on Day 12 of the Raw Food Challenge, I ate:
– A few slices of pear, 1/2 an apple, some leaves of romaine lettuce (I like to munch on romaine for some reason), 1/2 carrot, 1 cookie, a couple apricots, 1 glass lemon water with 1/2 scoop calcium/magnesium powder, and 1 cup digestive ginger tea. Yes, my “breakfast” was me snacking on bits and pieces of the lunch that I was making to take to the university.
– Ginger tea and trail mix with cashews and apricots
– 1 apple, 1 cookie, and about a cup of water
– Salad with romaine lettuce, hemp seeds, avocado, cucumber, shredded carrot, tomato, a crumbled spicy juice pulp patty, and 1/2 an apple, also another cookie
– Ginger tea and zucchini pasta with marinara sauce. This time I shredded a carrot as well as two zucchini for the pasta, and my marinara sauce was a concoction of tomatoes, dates, corn, red onion, red pepper, basil, sea salt, black pepper, thyme, oregano, and crushed red pepper. I ate just over half of this; I wasn’t hungry enough to eat it all.
– 1 apple
The Raw Food Challenge in Photographs
I really adore food. One of the biggest issues I’ve found since starting this Raw Food Challenge is that, although I don’t need to spend much time preparing my meals, I can’t help but think about food. I talk about the food that I have cravings for. Banana bread and popcorn and oatmeal, oh my! I have been lucky enough to not get any detox symptoms of headaches and the like, but cravings are still making it difficult to adjust. I really was crazy to undertake this challenge in the middle of winter, but I just have to keep reminding myself that it makes it that much more of a challenge because it’s cold outside!
After eating 100% raw for nearly two weeks now, I’ve figured out that a high raw diet isn’t for me. I strongly believe that everyone has different nutrition needs according to their own body, and although I’ve seen evidence that a high raw diet suits some people, I am not one of them. Of course I’m going to continue with this challenge- I fully intend to see it through!- but in February, although I will certainly incorporate raw foods into my diet just the same as I did before beginning this challenge, I won’t be eating high raw.
Another thing I’ve discovered: I really don’t like juice. I just don’t. Green juices, fruit juices, mixed juices; I don’t enjoy any of them. I tried to like them, I really did, but I am not a juice person. I like some smoothies, but I think I’ll be laying off the juicing from now on. Juicers are very useful for making soup base and for making juice to add to smoothies, though!
A few people have been asking what things like “zucchini pasta” and “chickpea flatbread” look like, so here are a few pictures I’ve taken to show you:
I’ll try to remember to take photos of my eats from now on and to post them with the recipes!